Today we met up to record the duration of our radio show. We typed out a script for the remaining parts of the rodeo and we took turns recording our lines in Audacity. Sometimes it took a couple tries to get it just the way we wanted it, but once we did, we then layered different rodeo sound affects in the background of our talking. We also added sound effects for our fight scene. Once we had all the sounds mixed in with our own commentating, we inserted our bumpers into the desired spots. After two hours of working, I would say we had a very productive group meeting.
We met up today to put everything together. We added little blurbs where we needed to in order to make the desired time of our show. We also put in all of our commercials. For the most part, our radio show was already completed, we just wanted to meet up one last time to make sure everything was edited and sounded how we wanted it to. It was sort of like a “dress rehearsal” to get all the kinks out before we turned in our final show product. Overall, I am thrilled with how it turned out because we worked extremely hard on it.
I chose to create a radio commercial in honor of my character, Mrs. Dean, who is a hardworking homesteader’s wife. She not only works out in the fields with her husband, but she cooks, cleans, and knits and washes clothing in the home, because being a homesteader is an extremely self sufficient job. I created a Western Boutique as a place to treat herself. She always works so hard to support her family and she deserves to be paid back for that sometimes. Hopefully her family will hear this ad and want to splurge on her.
For my boutique, I thought of a name for my store and then I wrote out a script. I chose to play an instrumental version of Taylor Swift’s popular song “You Belong With Me.” I wanted to play this song in the background, because it is very western sounding with a little girly edge. It would really help promote my cute little boutique.
Tonight we met in a Convergence Center conference room on campus to plan out our radio show. We constructed a detailed outline for our entire project. It is going to benefit us immensely when we begin to actually record our show.
We began the session by brainstorming an idea. Since a majority of our group is athletes, we came up with a western sports talk show to be reporting live at the scene of a rodeo. We mapped out all the pieces of our project based off the required credentials and the story we wanted to tell. Once we had the commercials, storyline, introduction, conclusion, interviews, and bumpers mapped out in the order we wanted, we then began to fill in topics for each subject. We chose where to incorporate our own characters as well as what each commercial and each commentary segment was going to be about.
Once we had all of the fill-ins mapped out. We wrote the actual script for it. We wanted to have the lines written out so that we knew what we were going to say. We bounced off of each other, creating characters, giving them names, and stories. It was an extremely productive group meeting.
Our group was supposed to meet again tonight, but due to the the tornado and flash flood weather, it was not safe for everyone to get to the Convergence Center. We are going to meet again tomorrow, but I will not be able to attend due to my basketball game (CAC Semi-finals) that is away. To make up for my absence, tonight I wrote the interveiw that will happen during our radio show and I constructed one of the commercials. We will meet up again after spring break to record the rest of the parts.
For my radio show advertisement, I chose to create a poster.
I wanted it to be informative, yet still pleasing and not overwhelming to the eye. I used one of my favorite designing websites, called Sketchpad 3.7, that I have used for a lot of my design assignments. It is an extremely useful resource.
On the site, I shaped a rectangle for the poster, and then I began adding text. I wanted to include the radio station name, a little catchphrase, and details about our specific radio show. Then I added a picture of a bull rider and a picture of a trophy, since our radio show event is a bull riding competition. To make the poster text and pictures connect to create an eye-catching looking poster, I matched the colors of the texts with the colors of the picture. It all combined to make my final product. It was fairly easy because I am comfortable with the software I used. It took awhile to get used to the software, but once I made a couple things on it, it got a lot easier.